WILL MEDICARE INCLUDE SIGHT AND VISION BENEFITS IN 2022?
By now we know there are some huge gaps in Medicare services especially in the areas of sight and hearing. The following PROS and CONS of the 2022 Expanded Medicare Proposal by US Congress informs us of what decisions legislators are making for our future.
PROS OF ADDING VISION, DENTAL AND HEARING
- Supplemental Insurance still has very high out-of-pocket costs (according to the 2016 Medicare Current Beneficiary Survey in Bloomberg Report²).
- Hearing, Vision (and Dental) issues often go untreated. This causes more (expensive) Medicare claims (that are covered) costing the Medicare system more.
- 75% of Medicare recipients who need a hearing aid, do not have one.¹
- The total proposed budget is $375 Trillion making Medicare expansion a very small addition at a low cost.
CONS OF ADDING VISION, DENTAL AND HEARING
- There is already supplemental coverage including Medigap, Medicaid and Medicare Advantage to fill-in what Medicare doesn’t cover.
- There are more critical gaps in Medicare coverage that are needed more including long-term custodial care.
- The proposed Medicare Expansion in 2022 includes other costly additions such as lowering the Medicare age to 60.
- Estimated Cost of $299 Billion over 10 years to include Vision, Dental and Hearing Benefits to Medicare is a very small portion of the overall proposed $3.5 Trillion Budget.
LSH helps people who qualify restore the gifts of sight and hearing in 12 California counties. Unfortunately, we know there are millions of other people who are out of our service area, or aren’t able to qualify for our help.
Now take our survey on what Medicare Expanded Benefits are important to you.
Read more or Click Here SHORT MEDICARE SURVEY
- Nisen, Max, Medicare Needs to Cover Dental, Hearing and Vision Care. Https://Www.bloomberg.com/Opinion/Articles/2021-07-15/Medicare-Needs-to-Cover-Dental-Hearing-and-Vision-Care. 15 July 2021.
- Willink, Amber, et al. How Medicare Could Provide Dental, Vision, and Hearing Care for Beneficiaries. How Medicare Could Provide Dental, Vision, and Hearing Care for Beneficiaries (commonwealthfund.org) Jan. 2018.